Monday, November 8, 2010

What is your fondest childhood memory?  Who was there?  What was going on?

What a loaded question.  That should be an easy one.  Especially because my childhood wasn't especially bad.  It is odd to me how the older I get, the more I forget.  Scratch that.  The more I forget the good things and only remember the bad things.  My childhood was not rife with hardships, it was just the victim of two parents who were not in love anymore.  But I look at pictures of myself when I was young and oh did I ever smile big.  I was such a funny kid!  I'm always looking so mischievous.  There is this one picture of me and my uncle Trenton on Halloween when I was 4 or 5.  He's looking off somewhere and I'm standing to his side, looking sneakily/smugly in his direction like I'm plotting some dastardly funny deed.  It's brilliant!  And from what I remember, that is exactly what it was like all the time.  I thought I was a grown up from the time I was 2.  So I grew up early.  Partially because I had to and partially because I've just always been a little mature for my age.  So I will write about a childhood memory in which I am the epitome of a child.  I cannot remember anything except pure, unadulterated, youthful joy from this day.  It was when I went to Disneyland for the first time.  Well, the first time I can remember.  I was 6 months the first time I went.  This memory happened when I was 9.  My family had just moved to California.  I remember waking up super early because I was so excited and putting on a purple outfit.  Purple shorts (who knows where those came from) and a purple tank top.  I even rationalized that I had to wear a tank top (technically against my religious dress code) because it would be so hot, which it really wasn't.  I woke my parents up at like 7 and told them we had to go.  They said that maybe we wouldn't; it was supposed to rain.  I suspect they didn't want to go because they were frightened by their hysterically excited daughter.  Oh no, that was not happening.  We were going!  I dragged them out of bed and got my brothers and sisters ready.  I actually don't remember much of Disneyland itself except for getting there, seeing the castle, and freaking out.  It was the build up that was the most exciting.  A truly happy memory because if anybody knows me, they know I LOVE Disneyland.  It is my happy place.

No comments:

Post a Comment